Import Facebook calendar birthdays & events
Changing Smartphones frequently has the downside of having different calendar approaches.
As I had the chance to see different styles, I realized I was in need of something that would let me give me an overview of everything, in terms of contacts’ updates, events and birthdays.
I found this very useful application called fbcal: basically what it does is to export your events and birthday reminders on Facebook to your calendar in Outlook, Google Calendar, Apple iCal and of course Windows Live.
What you need to do, or at least what I found it to work is this approach (courtesy from ):
Step 1: Go to fbCal.com and click on “Get your Calendars Now”.
Step 2: Now to export your birthday calendar from Facebook, click on “Or download a copy here.” from “Subscribe to your friends Birthday” section of fbCal as illustrated from the screenshot below. You will have to first log into Facebook and give permission to fbCal to access information before you can download the .ics file.
Step 3: Now to import this calendar to Windows Live. Log into Windows Live Calendar and create a new Calendar. Give your calendar any name like “Facebook” and your new calendar will be created.
Step 4: Now select your newly created calendar and click on subscribe. Select “Import from an ICS file” and then browse the .ics file created using fbCal. Clicking on Import Calendar button will import all the birthday reminders from your Facebook calendar to your Windows Live Calendar.
The best part is that the Facebook calendar which you just imported to your Windows Live Calendar will be automatically synched to the desktop client i.e. Windows Live Mail as shown in the screenshot below:
Similarly you can repeat the above steps to import your Facebook events calendar to your Windows Live too by selecting “Or download a copy here.” in Step 2 from “Subscribe to your Facebook events” section of fbCal.
So, in the end, in your phone you’ll see 2 more calendars: one called “fdcal Birthday (in read only) and one called “fdcal Events” which will be the events you accepted through Facebook.
The process seems complicated but it was really smooth.
Now, I realized I had a lot of duplicate lines in the Windows Live calendar (that contains a lot of calendars, BTW) and, as it integrates perfectly with the Windows Phone 7, I guess I need to spend some spare time on cleaning that up…
- 47,858 hits
EMEA Regional Manager @Microsoft
Social. Connected. Digital Enthusiast. Online & Offline Community Influencer & Follower. Avid audio book reader, rookie Photographer, History fan. Addicted to #WindowsPhone... #Branding is my Passion
- 40 Tourist Scams to Avoid This Summer shar.es/L4LNH via @visually 11 hours ago
- Coming soon: Swarm for Windows Phone bit.ly/1rdAHGG via @swarmapp #wp8 #wp81 1 day ago
- RT @emeamvp: Free ebook by @MicrosoftPress: Building Cloud Apps with Microsoft #Azure! bit.ly/1nCoPjE #mvpbuzz 2 days ago
- My week on twitter: 2 New Followers, 4 Mentions, 3.31K Mention Reach, 8 Replies. via sumall.com/myweek 2 days ago
- @dovellonsky ah, non sapevo. Thx! 2 days ago
- Popular #iOS and #Android selfie #app #Facetune comes to Windows Phone - bit.ly/1rYZyzr #wp8 #wp81 3 days ago
- Fitbit arrives for Windows Phone 8.1! - bit.ly/1qHPmOr #wp81 3 days ago
- RT @AnnaFeth: Let me introduce you: @ddobric Microsoft Azure MVP from Germany bit.ly/1xpdWRX #mvpbuzz #spotlight #azure /cc @emeamvp 3 days ago
- @corcav just got a great deal ;) 4 days ago
- @DomagojPa already had one :D 4 days ago
- @DomagojPa black, I'm an old school guy :) 4 days ago
- @fekberg good idea! I'd like to try it myself 4 days ago
- My new #lumia930 is awesome! #wp81 #switchtolumia instagram.com/p/q-1XIgl-Mj/ 4 days ago
- Uber offering Windows Phone users two free rides - bit.ly/1mTvM9K #wp8 #wp81 4 days ago
- #Lumia630: First impressions of the new high performance and amazing value Windows Phone device - bit.ly/UvCEU7 #wp81 4 days ago
- Windows Phone game @TheSimsFreePlay is awesome but right now uploading and downloading from/to the #cloud doesn't work. Planning on fix it? 4 days ago
- RT @nokia: [Video] #HowTo charge your phone ... using apples and potatoes :) nokia.ly/1rhGESV http://t.co/1e61kam5Zs 5 days ago
- @TheSimsFreePlay uploading or downloading from your #Cloud hasn't been working for quite some time. Did you plan to fix it? #wp81 5 days ago
- @corcav @raffaeler @Licantrop0 LOL!! 6 days ago
- @corcav grazie mille Corra anche da parte del mio amico! cc/ @raffaeler @Licantrop0 6 days ago